Link to Notes on this topic
I. Answer the following questions briefly
Q 1. How does a planet differ from a star?
Answer: The following are the differences between a plant and star,
|Have no light of their own
||Have light of their own
|Revolve round a star
||Do not revolve round any celestial body
|Do not twinkle
Q 2. What is meant by the ‘Solar System’?
Answer: The word solar system is derived is derived from Roman mythology. 'Sol' is Sun god and 'Solar' related to Sun. The sun, eight planets, satellites and some other celestial bodies known as asteroids and meteoroids form the solar system. The sun is the head of the solar system.
Q 3. Name all the planets according to their distance from the sun.
Answer: Planets according to their distance from the sun: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.
Q 4. Why the Earth is called a unique planet?
Answer: Earth is called a unique planet because this is the only planet where life exists. It has conditions for supporting life. The earth is neither too hot nor too cold. It has water and air, which are very essential for our survival. The air has life supporting gases like oxygen.
Q 5. Why do we see only one side of the moon always?
Answer: The moon moves around the earth in about 27 days. It takes exactly the same time to complete one spin. Therefore, only one side of the moon is visible to us on the earth.
Q 6. What is the Universe?
Answer: A galaxy is a huge system of billions of stars and clouds of dust and gases. Millions of such galaxies make the universe.
II. Tick the correct answer
1. The planet known as the “Earth’s Twin” is
2. Which is the third nearest planet to the sun
3. All the planets move around the sun in a
4. The Pole Star indicates the direction to the
5. Asteroids are found between the orbits of
(a)Saturn and Jupiter
(b)Mars and Jupiter
(c)Earth and Mars
III. Fill in the blanks
- A group of stars forming various patterns is called a constellation.
- A huge system of stars is called Galaxy.
- The Moon is the closest celestial body to our earth.
- Earth is the third nearest planet to the sun.
- Planets do not have their own heat and light.
- Share with your friends! -