Link to notes on this topic
1. Match the following and choose the answers from the codes given below:
||First big kingdom
||Hunting and gathering
||Cities about 2500 years ago
||Indus and its tributaries
||The first cities
Answer: 1-b, 2-a, 3-d, 4-e, 5-c
- The earliest people who lived in Narmada Valley were skilled hunters and gatherers. They lived by hunting animals and gathering food. So the correct match for Narmada Valley is "Hunting and Gathering".
- Magadha is the kingdom located to the south of River Ganga. it was a very powerful kingdom with powerful rulers. And hence it was obviously it was first big kingdom. So the correct match for Magadha is "First big kingdom".
- The areas around Garo hills were the places where early agriculture developed. So the correct match for Garo hills is "Early agriculture".
- About 4700 years ago, some of the earliest cities flourished on the banks of Indus and Its tributaries. So the correct match for Indus and its tributaries is "The first cities'.
- About 2500 years ago, cities developed on the banks of the Ganga and its tributaries, and along the seacoasts. So the correct match for Ganga Valley is "Cities about 2500 years ago".
2. List one major difference between Manuscripts and Inscriptions.
Answer: Following are the major differences between Manuscripts and Inscriptions
|They are written on leaves or barks.
||They are written on hard surfaces like stones or metal.
|They are in the form of books.
||They are in engraved form.
|They are usually written by hand. And hence the name Manuscripts.
||They are engraved with the help of special metal or stone tools.
3. Return to Rasheeda's question. Can you think of some answers to it?
Answer: Rasheeda's question was that how could anyone know what had happened so many years ago. We can know what has happened in the ancient past by studying the following:
- Manuscripts (handwritten scripts with information on leaves or barks)
- Inscriptions (records kept by kings, men and women engraved on stones or metal)
- Objects recovered by the Archeologists during excavations.
4. Make a list of all the objects that archeologists may find. Which of these could be made of stone?
Answer: Archeologists are the people who study the things made and used in the past. The following is the list of things which they study:
- Manuscripts and Inscriptions
- Remains of buildings made of stone and brick
- Paintings and Sculptures
- Tools, weapons, pots, pans, ornaments and coins
- Bones of animals, birds, and fish
- Sometimes even plant remains
Of all the things listed above, the ones which are made of stone can be,
- Remains of buildings
- Objects like tools, weapons, coins and rarely ornaments
- Surfaces used to make inscriptions
5. Why do you think ordinary men and women did not generally keep records of what they did?
Answer: Ordinary men and women may not have felt the need to record the things or they may have lacked proper writing equipment.
6. Describe at least two ways in which you think the lives of kings would have been different from those of farmers.
Answer: The life of king would have been definitely different from that of farmers. The difference could be,
- Kings had large kingdoms whereas the farmers didn't.
- Kings must have enjoyed luxurious life but the farmers could not afford to.
- Kings used to keep a record of their achievements and victories in war, whereas farmer who was an ordinary man would not keep the record of the things.
7. Find the word crafts persons on page 1.
List at least five different crafts that you know about today.
Are the crafts persons — (a) men (b) women (c) both men and women?
Answer: Craft is an activity involving skill in making things, particularly by hand. Craftspersons are the people who make beautiful craft objects. Crafts persons can be both men and women. The following is the list of various crafts of present day,
- Basket weaving
- Doll making
- Floral designing
- Jewellery making
- Toy making
- Tattoo designing
- Leather work
- Metalwork and much more...
8. What were the subjects on which books were written in the past? Which of these would you like to read?
Answer: In the ancient past books were written on the subjects like,
- Religious beliefs
- King and his kingdom
- Kings and wars
- Poetry and much more...
I would like to read books on all the topics, as every book is a source to know the life of people of the past.
- Share with your friends! -