Take an empty bottle and we shall test if it is really empty. Turn it upside down into a bucket filled with water. You can now feel the upward pressure. Now if you slightly tilt the bottle, the water enters the empty bottle. Also you can notice bubbles coming out of the bottle. These bubbles coming out of the bottle are the AIR present inside. So we can say that the empty bottle is not really empty and that air is present in it.
Until eighteenth century it was believed that air is just a single substance. But later it was proved that air is a mixture of many component gases. Let us know about a few of them.
We can observe some tiny shining particles moving in the beam of sunlight. These are the dust particles present in the air. The presence of dust particles in air varies from time to time and also from place to place.
We inhale air when we breathe through our nostrils. Fine hair and mucus are present inside the nose to prevent dust particles from getting into the respiratory system. Sometimes children tend to breathe air through mouth and this may cause harmful dust particles to enter into our body.
Air mostly contains nitrogen and oxygen. They both together make up to 99% of the air. The remaining 1% is constituted by carbon dioxide and a few other gases, water vapor and dust particles.
- Share with your friends! -